Former manager of the WildBird Foundation, Ariel Cordova, decided to celebrate her thirtieth birthday with a trip to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife reserve. She had planned to enjoy colorful nature views and birdwatching, but the day didn’t go quite as she had hoped when Ariel accidentally stumbled uponsick mutee swan.
A woman could not leave a bird in such a state. She decided to examine it and it turned out that the bird could not even stand normally on its feet.
Ariel didn’t think twice. She picked up the eight-kilogram swan in her arms and carried it to the exit of the reserve – it took almost two kilometers to walk with a heavy burden on her hands. In the parking lot, Ariel met a stranger who agreed to giveher ride tonearest subwaystation. We must pay tribute to the NewYorkersno oneraised aneyebrow when a girl with a wild mute in her arms entered the car and put him on a free seat – apparently, they are used to the fact that many unusual things happen in the subway.
A few hours later, the bird finally made it to the doctor, who diagnosed her with an infection and poisoning. Veterinarians said, Ariel found the swan just in time – without her intervention, he would have died very soon.
Now Bay – that’s what the foundling was called – feels much better. After quarantine and a course of treatment, the bird was released into the common pool, where she found herself a new friend, to whom she is already showing signs of attention.
Ariel didn’t plan on celebrating her anniversary this way, but she’s glad her birthday went that way. Helping animals has long been her life’s work, and the accidental rescue of Bey was the best gift for the girl.